Monday, January 5, 2009

Next Race: Bandera 100k

My next race is this Saturday:  Bandera 100k.  I've never run this race or this distance before (I've run longer but not this specific distance).  This is supposed to be a tough, challenging but wonderful race and I'm very excited to finally have a chance to try it out.

Bandera has a lot of elevation gain (for a Texas race) and very rugged terrain.  I'm not crazy about hills (they really wear me out) but I love the rugged terrain.  If you want to see what the course is like you can check out this photo tour.  Click here to see the course map (PDF), and click here to read race reports from past years.  Below is an elevation profile of the race - it's two 50k loops so I'll be climbing these hills twice.


The race has a 24 hour cutoff (11 hours for the first 50k loop; 13 hours for the second loop).  That's 21:15 minutes per mile pace for the first loop, 25:07 minutes per mile for the second loop.  So the challenge of this race won't be the time - it will be the endurance.  I know of strong runners who have attempted the 100k in the past but have stopped after the first 50k loop.  I want to finish the entire 100k so I plan to take everything nice and slow and not push myself too hard - I don't have any specific time goals.  I also plan to eat a lot since I think most of my endurance problems are due to lack of calories.

I'm still debating if I want to prepare any drop bags.  I'll be able to stop by my car at the halfway point so I don't know if I need any supplies more often than that.  I'll wear my Nathan Running Vest and I'll carry some electrolyte caps, advil, small bodyglide, PowerBar Gel Blasts, maybe a couple of gels.  I'll also carry one hand-held bottle with water.  I expect to meet most of my hydration and nutrition needs at the aid stations.

So check back for an update next Sunday!  Thanks so much to everyone for your encouragement and financial support.  I've now raised over 50% of my goal and have another $700 in pledges not yet received.  Fundraising is going well but I can always use your support!  If you'd like to make a secure online donation just click here.  And Happy New Year to everyone!  Wishing you happiness and health in 2009.

PS I just realized that since I started racewalking and running back in 2003 I have logged 9,955 miles.  That means that sometime in the middle of Bandera I will run my 10,000th mile!

4 comments:

Dave said...

Good grace on a great race...we have to meet up either before or during the race...see you there

o2bhiking said...

Holy crap! That is a long way to go. Good luck, what a challenge!

If you want to read about a friend's 50 miler (about 80K) I put their account on my blog:

http://racn4acure.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-friends-amazing-50-mile-race.html

That is quite an endurance event. Hang in there. Art

Katie said...

WOW, what a challenge! Should be an exciting adventure, that's for sure. Congrats on the 10,000 mile mark!

Cures Rock! said...

Wow.wow.wow. I see your posts on Twitter, but this is the first time I visited your blog. I'll be back to see how things go. My best friend is an ultra-runner, and I find the sport AMAZING! (Heck, I'm just excited to be running my 2nd marathon with TNT in 2 weeks...I can't imagine a 100K!!!). I am completely inspired by your story and will pass it on and donate, too.

Thank you for sharing, and good thoughts for your family and dad. Good luck on the race.

-Julie