Sunday, February 15, 2009

Next Race: Cross Timbers 50 Mile

Next weekend is my fourth race in the Racing Against Prostate Cancer series:  Cross Timbers 50 Mile.  Cross Timbers and I have a history:  two years ago it was my first DNF (did not finish).  I made it to mile 45 and was exhausted and didn't think I would have time to finish.  So I have some unfinished business to take care of.  To read the race report from my DNF go here.

This is a tough course, mostly because of the hilly, rugged 5 mile out-and-back section to Juniper Point that is run twice, after each 20 mile out-and-back section.  So the hardest part of the course is at mile 20 and mile 45.  I remember most of the course being runnable and not too tough, maybe a few tough climbs.  It's the Juniper Point section that really gives Cross Timbers it's reputation as the "toughest little trail in Texas."

I've done lots of hill training and lots of back-to-back runs so I feel pretty good about my training for this race.  But I don't plan to take anything for granted.  I'll start out slow and stay slow throughout, and I'll really take it easy on the hard uphills.

On the family front, Dad has an important PSA test tomorrow.  If the test results come back clean then he will be considered cancer free!  So we should know more in a few days.  This is what we've all been waiting for and I can't wait to hear the good news.

On the fundraising front, you guys have been awesome!  With your help I've raised $2,984.  That's 68% of my goal.  So fundraising is going well but I still have a ways to go.  Don't be afraid to visit my fundraising page and make an additional donation!  Remember that everything you give goes toward ending Prostate Cancer and saving lives.

Keep your eye on my blog for some raffles I will be doing to raise funds.  You could win a cool prize.

I'll post an update as soon as I can next Saturday, and I may update Facebook and Twitter during the race if I've got the time.  Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and support.  You guys help keep me motivated!


4 comments:

Elayne said...

Hey Marshall~ how did Cross Timbers go? Also, hope your dad's test results came back clean!
Good luck on all your training for the ultra's and fundraising!
You have been a great inspiration for me to keep going!!
Elayne

Katie said...

WOW, congrats on your fundraising!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Katie!

Elayne, my race is this coming Saturday. The date on my post was incorrect. I'll update you guys on Sunday!

Katie said...

I have to read your section on the race - holy cow - congrats! I don't know how you do it!

Hope your dad is doing good!!!