Monday, November 3, 2008

Race #2: Rockledge Rumble 50k

The second race in my "Race Against Prostate Cancer" series is this weekend:  the Rockledge Rumble 50k.  This is a great local race that I've done four years in a row (four 50ks, one 30k).  I've never run the 50k (always walked in the past) so this will be a new adventure.  The course is the rugged and challenging North Shore Trail at Lake Grapevine, so it is familiar territory - trail I've run or walked hundreds of times.  This is a great race with a nice course, great support, and lots of friends.

My training has been going pretty well.  The weekend before last I ran the Miracle Match Marathon in Waco, Texas, as a training run.  It was very hilly (and slow!), but those hills should serve me well in this weekend's race.  Yesterday I ran all around the Dallas Running Club Half Marathon with my Team in Training group.  Over the 13.1 mile course I ended up covering about 15.5 miles, and I did them all dressed like a hippie:

Hippie Coach!! on TwitPic

It was a long day (I was on the course for about 4 hours plus another hour of cheering at the end) but it was all worth it to see all of the proud participants completing their goal event.  When the final participant crossed the finish line they had already taken down all of the "official" finish line signs and equipment so we had our own TNT cheering section and held a toilet paper tape at the finish line for her to break.  It was fun and very emotional.

This week I will take it easy and run some easy miles, then rest up for the race.  I won't be twittering during this race but will post an update as soon as I can.

Thanks again to everyone who has donated and shown their support and encouragement.  It makes this whole effort worth it to know I'm raising money to fight Prostate Cancer and am supported by so many wonderful people.  So far, with your help, I've raised $1,284 and have received pledges of another $1,388!  Thanks to everyone for your generosity.  If you know anyone else who has been affected by Prostate Cancer please share my website with them.  I still need to raise $1,720 to meet my goal.  If you haven't donated yet you can make an easy, secure donation on my website.

Thanks!

1 comment:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Hey there. I just found your blog via your Twitterings.

I am considering running the 15k of the Rockledge Rumble. Shoot me an email and let's see if we can meet up.

Stay tuned...

PS: Please give my regards to your father.