Sunday, November 30, 2008

Race #3: SunMart 50 Mile

This Saturday I will complete my third of seven races to raise money in the fight against Prostate Cancer:  SunMart 50 miler.  SunMart is a great race and one of the biggest ultras in the US (although by normal marathon standards this is a small race; last year there were 172 50 mile finishers and 522 50k finishers).  I've completed this race three times and am looking forward to running it again.  The race is held at Huntsville State Park in Huntsville, Texas.  The course is mostly shaded, mostly soft dirt (and often a lot of mud down by the lake) and not too hilly, so it's a pleasant run.  A great way to spend the afternoon.

Two of my good friends, Susan and Marla, are also running the 50 miler, and many of my friends from the North Texas Trail Runners and Team in Training will be running one of the distances.  It will be a good time to see familiar faces.

My training has been going well so I feel good about the race.  The only negative thing is that I have a busy week ahead at work.  I'll be flying to Milwaukee Tuesday afternoon.  I couldn't get a flight home Thursday night so I have to fly back early Friday morning, then hop in my car and head down to Houston for the packet pickup and pre-race dinner.  I'll get to spend the night with my Dad before heading to the race Saturday morning.  I'll spend the night in Houston again Saturday night and then head back to Dallas Sunday morning.  I'll probably be able to post my race results Sunday afternoon.

As always, thanks to YOU for your support and your financial donations.  The donations and pledges are still coming in but I need more to reach my goal.  So please take a minute to visit my donation page and make a secure online donation.  

Watch for updates on Sunday!

No comments: